Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yukon Gold & Sweet Potato Mash

Today, I'm ridiculously thankful that this man is our president.
I'm thankful that America rose up and made such a historic election and that we are sending a message to the world that hillbillies do not represent America. I am looking forward to a year of eloquent and intelligent speeches that do not include the words: dang it, doggone it, and ya know. And that's all the politics I'm going to give you.

I am also thankful for mashed potatoes in any form. When I was little, mashed potatoes were probably my favorite food. We would go to my Grandma and Papa's house for a holiday with my 19 cousins and 13 aunts and uncles and I would sit by my godfather, Uncle T., and respond to his question about how much potatoes I would like with the ubiquitous "two scoops please!" I think I may have had potatoes confused with raisin bran. Which would explain my gently expanding waistline.

As an adult, I find that I love the combination of mashing sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. The nice thing about this recipe too is that it still has that yummy factor without the thousands of extra calories that potatoes made with sour cream and heavy cream and tons of butter have. Don't get me wrong, those kind of potatoes are fabulous too, but remember my ever expanding waistline? These potatoes are delicious without the two scoops of guilt that comes with traditional mashed potatoes.

I'm also thankful that M. peeled the potatoes and sweet potatoes!
Isn't she pretty?
Yukon Gold & Sweet Potato Mash

1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
1/2 cup low-fat milk
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Place potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until very tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.

Drain the potatoes, then mash in the pan to get the desired consistency. Place milk and butter in a small bowl and microwave on High until the butter is mostly melted and the milk is warm, 30 to 40 second. Stir the milk mixture, sugar, salt, and pepper into the mashed potatoes until combined.


Obama photo from here.

9 comments:

Deborah said...

I just discovered the combo of regular and sweet potatoes mashed together and immediately fell in love. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Both our new President AND the potatoes.

Peter M said...

Yay for Barack and Yay for mashed'patay-tas.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, that is a combo that makes for good eating.

It will be nice to hear correctly spoken English and well thought out policy coming from the mouth of our President won't it?!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the Scottish 'tatties and neeeps' which is potatoes and turnips mashed together. Carrots are another alternative.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I'd never considered mashing the different kinds of potatoes together, but it sounds like the best of both worlds. Yum

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the combination of flavours here Mary. Throw me the masher and I'll be tehre:D

glamah16 said...

Oh I have to try that!I crave the sweet ones more as I get older.

Unknown said...

I was looking for some online help with mixing the two, on my way home to cook them up, thanks! Oh dang yes, ya know?