Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hot Chocolate

Because when I woke up it looked like this outside...

and it hasn't melted.

I'm thinking I might have to declare the rosemary bush a loss, but I have some good ideas from Jennie at Straight From the Farm about how maybe to keep it going all winter. I'm also wondering how I'm going to get my bulbs in the ground. We don't usually get lake effect snow, so getting this much snow this early was a touch of a surprise. The nearest "big" city got 6 inches, but I'm thinking we got maybe 4.

I get to drive the 40 miles to school soon and I haven't wormed up yet. So I made myself this yummy hot cocoa and I should be warm in no time! And the nice thing about this particular recipe besides the hint of cinnamon is that I don't have to choose between enjoying a cup of hot cocoa OR eating. It's fairly low calorie so I can do both. Yay!


Hot Chocolate
adapted from Ellie Krieger
serves 1


1 cup milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 Tbsp Hershey's Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp water
15 mini marshmallows


Heat the milk and the cinnamon stick in a small saucepan until just simmering. In a mug, combine the cocoa, sugar and water and stir to make a paste. Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk. Pour the milk into the mug and stir to mix well. Add the vanilla extract and stir. Place as many marshmallows as you like in the hot chocolate and eat the rest.

9 comments:

CB said...

Mmmm... love me some hot chocolate and mini marshmallows. I wish it was cold enough here to drink it but its freaking high 80s in CA?!! Apparently we didn't get the winter memo huh? HAHA.
/Clara

Brilynn said...

I was drinking hot chocolate today too, we've got about 8 inches. Sadly, I don't have any marshmallows... I'm thinking of making some though.

Deborah said...

We've actually been unseasonably warm. I haven't even been able to drink hot cocoa without breaking a sweat!

Kitt said...

Looks like you're good to go! That snow will probably melt quickly and you'll have a chance to get those bulbs in. Takes a while for the ground to freeze.

Just keep a thermos of chocolatey goodness handy.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Snow is inevitable but a nice mug of your hot chocolate would ease the pain:D

April said...

The snow is beautiful. The hot chocolate looks fantastic! Nice and warm!

Amanda said...

Yum! We got only a light dusting of snow yesterday--nothing like y'all are getting! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

You know, your weather looks worse than ours, and that is hard to achieve, my friend.

Stay warm!

Megan said...

We never get any snow around here. :( But I do love a cup of cocoa. I'll have to try this one!