Monday, November 3, 2008

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans

So what exactly am I thankful for? Besides my happy family and my hunk of a husband? Well, today I'm thankful the brakes and headlights are good on my trusty Ford Focus. I'm thankful for my eye-foot coordination. And I'm thankful for the 4 feet of pavement that separated me from a pretty big male deer (it had horns) that happened to be standing in the middle of the road. It wasn't crossing the road. It was just standing there. Like it was suicidal or something. I hyperventilated for the next 10 miles, but I'm very thankful. Whew.

These Brussels sprouts are also something to be thankful for. It was kind of funny because my mom kept raving about them and how sweet they are. And my sister told me on the way out that if they were cooked that way at home she might actually eat them. I think that's massive praise considering M. is not a fan of vegetables in general. And even better these are a no-fuss vegetable dish.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans
courtesy of Real Simple

2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
(the original recipe called for 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, but I seem to have forgotten to add them. oops!)

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the Brussels sprouts, pecans, oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Turn the Brussels sprouts cut side down. Roast until golden and tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

4 comments:

Peter M said...

Now that's a new addition to sprouts I haven't tried...pecans make everything good.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Hooray for good brakes! That must have been an aerobic workout.

Deborah said...

I am definitely thankful for both good brakes and Brussels sprouts. We get lots of deer here, so I always get paranoid driving at night if I'm close to the mountains!

Honeyed Hashette said...

YUM! When we lived in California there was a pizza bistro we went to that had a warm brussel sprout salad. It was WONDERFUL! This isbeing added to my list. YUM!