Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cranberry Merlot Sorbet

By now, you are probably a little bit tired of reading the number of things I'm grateful for. So I won't dwell on telling you why I'm grateful that in order to go to Target, or Meijer's, or Starbucks in the "big" city in the county north of me I have to pass farmland, one herd of sheep, and two herds of cows. I just am. It makes me happy.

What I will elaborate on is that I was reading an article a couple days ago about stress and gratitude. I can't seem to find the article anymore so I may have read it in the line at the grocery or in the doctor's office. But the point is that it is apparently impossible to be both stressed out and grateful at the same time. I thought it was an interesting idea and I'm thinking it's been working in my life. But don't worry, I won't keep posting what I'm grateful about. That could be a bit much. I did manage to find a similar article on the web, it's a little old, but interesting none the less. Check it out here.


Another reason to be grateful is that Trader Joe's sells a pretty cheap, ($3 if you want to travel all the way to Cleveland), but drinkable wine called Charles Shaw (Two Buck Chuck for those in the know). This wine, in the Merlot variety, really sent my cranberry sorbet over the moon! Somehow a Dinner of Giving Thanks doesn't seem right without the cranberry in it somewhere. I admit it. I love the jellied cranberry stuff that comes out in the shape of the can. But I just didn't feel like eating the leftovers of it. Besides I tried the cranberry sorbet out of The Ultimate Ice Cream Book for a Christmas dessert a while back and while it was tasty I wanted to take it up a notch. So I followed Bruce Weinstein's instructions for the Spiced Cranberry Sorbet and then added my good buddy Chuck to give it a zing. Wheeee! Yummy this is good. It's something to be grateful for.

Cranberry Merlot Sorbet
adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book

1/2 pound fresh cranberries (about 2 cups)
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cups Merlot
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
zest of 1 lemon

Place all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a simmer. Continue to cook for 2 minutes or until the cranberries pop and begin to soften. Remove from the heat and allow the cranberry mixture to cool slightly.

Puree in a blender. If necessary, do this in 2 batches. Pass the puree through a sieve to remove the skins. The puree will be thick and may need to be pushed through using a wooden spoon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Stir the chilled mixture and then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

8 comments:

Peter M said...

Oh My, this would also make a great 'palate cleanser' for a Thanksgiving dinner...divine!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Great job Mary. Please carry on with telling us why you are grateful. It will remind us to do the same:D

glamah16 said...

I would be very thankful for some of that. I can just visuslize the taste.

Katy said...

perfect fall dessert! sounds amazing!

Amanda said...

There's two buck chuck! Oh, my kingdom for a Trader Joe's nearby!

Your sorbet looks fantastic, too, by the way. I could be persuaded to abandon all of my Thanksgiving woes here and come to YOUR house with that on the menu! :)

Sara said...

oh my gosh! I'm drooling reading the ingredients!

I like hearing what you're grateful for... it reminds me to think about the things I'm grateful for.

Anonymous said...

Thing I Would Be Grateful For:
If you could move to MN, so we could hang out and you could make this for us!

Thanks for the yummy recipe, AND for the things you're grateful for. Both are appreciated.

Cakelaw said...

This sorbet is such a gorgeous colour - with cranberriesand merlot, it ould also taste pretty special too. Great dessert!