Monday, February 4, 2008

Mushy Peas

I really like peas, but I'm stretching my comfort zone tonight. Peas, in my opinion, should never be mushy. They are great cold and firm on a salad. They are great steamed in the microwave. As a single person, I could make a meal out of a bag of frozen peas. But in my household canned peas are forbidden. They are salty and mushy and downright gross.

When we had to eat peas as kids and my sister G, who hates peas, would chew and chew and chew. G could make a spoonfull of peas last for what seemed a lifetime. Like most kids growing up when I did, we couldn't get up from the table until we finished our dinner. Unfortunately, no one could get up from the table until we all finished our dinners. That meant that we all sat there and watched G take forever to finish her peas. Chewing away and crying that she hates peas. We all tried to tell her that if you didn't like something to chew maybe twice and then swallow as fast as you can and rinse it down with milk. She never tried, she just kept chewing. She still won't eat peas.

So, what was I thinking making Mushy Peas? Well because they're pretty. And tasty. And for me, they're like comfort food without the calories of mashed potatoes. I have to admit that I was skeptical about pureeing peas. I mean it just sounds icky. But it wasn't. In fact we have none left. I don't think the Brain showed my enthusiasm for them though. I was thinking to myself, while eating my second helping, that if I had never had peas before, that I would instantly fall in love with them while eating this dish. But after spending a lifetime eating my peas that I could skewer on each tine of a fork, it took a little getting used to the idea of pureed peas. But they are definitely tasty.

Minty Mushy Peas
recipe courtesy of Jamie Oliver and The Food Network

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 handfull fresh mint, leaves picked off
1 pound frozen peas
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions, mint leaves, and peas. Cover and simmer for about 7 minutes, stirring occaisionally so all the peas are hot and bright green. Pour the peas into the food processor and puree unti smooth. When it's done add the butter and season very carefully, to taste.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm not a mushy pea person myself. I've only had them once - I was in London many years ago and the pub where I had some amazing fish and chips served minted mushy peas on the side. I tried them, but didn't finish them. Maybe it's time to give them another try?

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These might actually be much more tasty than the mushy peas I gre up with in my British household. These are made with fresh peas whereas mushy peas were made with dried peas soaked over night and then boiled somewhat like pease porridge. My parents still love it and order it at the fish and chip shops when they can find it!!!! I think we would like your puree with the fresh mint much better :)

Pixie said...

When I first tried mushy peas, I pretty much despised them. I had them with fish and chips, it's the popular side dish here in the UK. However, Jamie Oliver has some fabulous recipes, and I'm sure he made them to perfection. Must try it this way some time. :)

glamah16 said...

Sound intersting to me. And way less fattening than guacamole. The mint is s anice addition.Regardless its healthy!

Mrs. White said...

I'm sure it's good and I do love peas, but I'm just not sure I could bring myself to try mushy peas. Gah...generally I'm pretty brave, but this might be my limit. :)