Monday, February 11, 2008

Mushroom Casserole

Last time I went to Meijers, the Brain came with me. It was sort of an outing for us. I tried to follow my usual and horribly OCD path through the grocery store sticking to my shopping list as best I can. Straying only in the produce section, but more on that in a minute. The Brain happily went off and grabbed things like hot dogs and buns and tossed them in the cart. He grabbed all kinds of things and we went down aisles that I tend not to go down like the soda and chip aisle and we skipped aisles that I always go down (ahem, baking aisle). I was downright twitchy when we got done.

As painfull as this trip was for me, it turned out to be a good thing the Brain was along. It turns out that we needed the shredded cheese because I got overzealous with the seasoning on some chicken chili. And as it turns out he makes himself a hot dog for a snack and then he's a happy man. The best thing thing the Brain did was throw some pizza crust and the fixings in the cart. Why was that so great? Well I went a little exuberant on the crimini mushrooms. See they were 10 for $10 and the 11th was free. On the 8oz. packages. I had enough sense to not pick up 11 of them. I picked up 6. We ate heavily mushroomed pizzas.

So they are holding up well in the fridge, but I still had 4 packs when we got home tonight and I need to use these babies up. So when I was sitting at work today and the mailman brought my latest order from Amazon, which included the cookbook Healthy Cooking For Two (Or Just You) by Frances Price R.D. I scoured it for mushroom recipes and I came across this Skillet Casserole of Bulgur & Crimini Mushrooms. I thought it was really good. I sprinkled a little parsley on mine. The Brain thought it was ok, and his was plain. We both were surprised at how generous the portion size was too.

Skillet Casserole of Bulgur & Crimini Mushrooms

1 Tbsp butter
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
2 Tbsp finely chopped onions
2 cups Chicken broth
1/2 cup bulgur
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Place a heavy medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the mushrooms and onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release their juices.

Stir in the broth, raise the heat and bring the mixture quickly to a boil. Then stir in the bulgur, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the bulgur is tender.

2 servings
Per Serving: 128 calories, 6.8 g. total fat, 3.8 g. saturated fat, 18 mg. cholesterol, 631 mg. sodium, 3.9 g. protein, 14.8 g. carbohydrates, 2.6 g. dietary fiber

3 comments:

glamah16 said...

I can do this. I was looking for ways to use up some bulger I purchased a while back.

Deborah said...

I'm always curious about the cooking for 2 books. I really keep wanting to get a few, but I don't know which ones are good! But I do love mushrooms!!

Sagari said...

looks yumm and I love your bell pepper salad A LOT