Friday, February 22, 2008

Chocolate Sandwiches


I came home tonight alone. The Brain is working late and has already eaten. It's a Friday in Lent and being a Catholic, there was to be no meat eating for me. Not that I really think it brings me closer to God because we eat beef so rarely. But we're Catholic, so it's what we do.

To top it off, I didn't really feel like cooking tonight, maybe I'm coming down with something. So I made a tuna sandwich and munched on some potato chips. Oh the glamour that is my life. I was sitting there, quite contented really, watching 2 1/2 Men which has to be my favorite show with the possible exception of Iron Chef America, when my sweet tooth hit in a big way. There I was, wanting, no needing dessert. And we don't seem to have any regular flour in the house.

Thus baking was out of the question. Because I just didn't feel like going to the grocery store. I mean I have to go tomorrow anyway and if I go tonight I might just buy some really bad, but delicious food that I like to stay away from. Processed food. BAD food. Like pizza rolls. So I raided the cupboards. I don't have any stale "hearth style" bread so Butterscotch Bread Pudding from Small Batch Baking was out. Regular, non-bread Pudding takes 2 hours to chill and I don't have that kind of time before I have to go back to the other house to play with the doggies. I mean house sit.

What I did find when I went through the cupboards and the pantry was part of my loaf of cocktail bread that I made these delicious sandwiches out of, about half a bag of chocolate chips, half a bag of white chocolate chips, Nutella, some walnuts, and peanut butter. I decided to make some sweet sweet sandwiches. Mmmmmmm sandwiches. Through some delicious trial and error I came up with 3 separate sandwiches that I suggest with a cold glass of milk. White chocolate walnut, chocolate peanut butter, and Nutella. There is no real recipe, it's more like playing when you were a kid in the kitchen.


White Chocolate Walnut
Basically butter one side of two pieces of bread, place one slice of bread butter side down in a hot little skillet, then put some white chocolate chips on top of the bread. Sprinkle the bread with chopped walnuts and place another piece of bread on top buttered side up. Cook over medium heat until the chips are a little melty and the bread is a little browned on the bottom. Flip over and cook until the other piece of bread is browned and the chips are melted.

Nutella
Again, butter one side of two pieces of bread and place one slice of bread butter side down in the pan. Spread the bread carefully with Nutella. Place the second piece of bread butter side up and cook until both sides of the sandwich are browned (flipping halfway through cooking) and the Nutella is all melty.

Chocolate Peanut Butter
And again butter one side of two pieces of bread and place one slice of bread butter side down in the pan. Spread the bread carefully with peanut butter and then place as many chocolate chips on the peanut butter as you can. Place the second piece of bread butter side up and cook the same as the white chocolate walnut sandwich.

8 comments:

AngiePangie said...

How creative! I think they look really good, I'm going to pass on the milk though, o.k.? I still think milk is just for babies and cows. :)

I see you're Catholic. I've been trying to cook a new fish dish every week for lent, and it's going o.k., I'm just not a big fish eater. My husband has been pretty thrilled, though. Since Momma don't like fish, well . . . you know.

Anyhow, I enjoyed your blog, and I'm adding you to my feeds so I can check back in.

Mrs. White said...

How fun! I louvre nutella...

slush said...

Seriously YUM! Thats my kind of sandwich. I love the late night creativity of missing a key ingredient. Thats the best.

zlamushka said...

chocolate sandwiches, what a fabulous snack. Yum. great idea.

glamah16 said...

thats by far the most original thing I have ssen. Girls night in comfort food!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Do I have these ingredients in my cupboards to make these for breakfast :D

LisaRene said...

Why is it that our sweet tooth kicks in late at night? What fun sandwiches! I eat really healthy most of the time but when my husband is traveling on business this would be exactly the type of dinner I would have, yum!

I grew up Catholic and every Friday during Lent we had spaghetti with marinara sauce with chopped up hard boiled eggs. This was a tradition in my Italian half of the family. I actually really enjoyed the odd combination.

Deborah said...

What a great idea!! I could go for one of these right now!