Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Daring Bakers do Pizza!

This month our lovely Daring Baker Challenge was hosted by Rosa of Rosa's Yummy Yums. Rosa picked Peter Reinhart's Pizza Dough. Go check out Rosa's Yummy Yums for the recipe and the story behind why she picked it. I found this recipe to be not too difficult. Of course finding instant yeast is just not happening here in rural Ohio. You'd have a better chance of spitting and hitting a political candidate. Not that I'm advocating spitting on political candidates. But I digress, I substituted active dry yeast instead of the instant and proofed it in 2 oz of the water (which I'd heated to 100°F.). It worked out just lovely. Oh yeah, and I cut the recipe in half because we simply don't need that much pizza floating around our happy little family of 2.

And I did try tossing it. (look an action shot!)
But I had a hard time with the catching it part.
And taking a photo of it. This would be my kitchen after some pizza dough went flying through the air.
And because I wanted something a little upscale and I figured the Brain (and his secretary) would like "normal" pizza, I decided that mini pizzas would be best. The Brain (and his secretary) got sausage, green pepper, and mozzarella with roasted tomato sauce.
I got a Parmesan, olive oil, kosher salt, and cracked pepper pizza that was supposed to get a salad on top, but I ate it in the car on the way to school instead. Just a little itsy bitsy note though, Parmesan doesn't need more salt. But overall it was tasty.
And I also made myself this pizza, with Trader Joe's goat brie, honeycrisp apple slices, and a sprinkling of Kraft caramel bits. It was super good! I may make this pizza dough recipe again just to make this particular pizza!
Overall I would say the pizza was tasty. But I am more of a thick crust than a thin crust kind of pizza gal. I like my pizza to have some chew and bread to it. Although I can see that this thin crust has it's advantages in some types of pizza and judging from the Brain's lackluster response to it, we'll be making my regular thick crust pizza dough more often.

Make sure you check out all the other Daring Bakers to see what kind of pizza they made!

17 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great pizza! You did a good job with the tossing!

Cheers,

Rosa

Y said...

That sausage pizza sounds especially good!

glamah16 said...

Nice ! Look at you making minis for them. I love the goat cheese and apple version. Its jsut 2 here, but good to know all that dough is in the freezer.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Loving all the pizza flavours Mary. Good for you for tossing this months challenge to the wind:D

Deborah said...

I know mine would have ended up on the floor if I would have tried! They all sound delicious!

Rebecca said...

Did you know that active dry and instant yeasts are more or less interchangable? I learned that in a bread baking class last month.

Great job with your pizzas--I especially like the one with apples, brie and caramel!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

they all sound delicious! your pictures made me very hungry!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

lol at the tossing pizza post-action photo. I think that's where mine would be--I'm too timid to try tossing my dough! The pizza looks delicious

Anonymous said...

Ha! another brave tosser! love your pk of pizza's flavors :)

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Great job! I go through tons of yeast around here with bread and pizza, and you can get a pound of instant yeast at Gordon Food Service for about $4, and it keeps in the freezer for a long time...no proofing! I think my stone came from Williams-Sonoma because I was impatient and mad at my oven and didn't shop around, so I probably paid too much. Amazon has quite a few. Get the biggest one you can, it's still cheaper than coveting a TurboChef!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh boy sign me up for that Trader Joe's goat brie, honeycrisp apple slices!
Great job with the tossing!

Anonymous said...

I'm having so much fun looking at everyone's tossing photos. Brie and apples, yes!

Big Boys Oven said...

lovely pizza and you did so well! juat amazing....

grace said...

man down, man down! despite the drop, your finished products look great. :)

Anonymous said...

I just have to say, there are some politicians I feel I could spit on! Watch, the FBI will be knocking on my door soon. But, I digress, your pizzas sound superb. Really delicious. I love the toss. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Reason # 534 why Shazam must move to MN - we have instant yeast. Oh, and I'll eat any kind of pizza that you would care to make for me. I'm easy that way.

creampuff said...

Oh ... poor tossed pizza! Too funny ... I had some similar experiences. But the end result is fabulous!