Thursday, October 16, 2008

Barefoot Summer Borscht

Tonight I do my first peer teaching. Pretty exciting. Nerve racking really. I've created a worksheet. I've thought about what I'm going to say. I've found a nifty SOHCAHTOA video. I've got the Mt. Sohcahtoa poster all finished. And although I'm only teaching for 10 minutes, I'm nervous. Do I have too much content for 10 minutes? What if it all goes over my classmates' heads? What if I get a smartass in class who decides to ask questions that I don't have the answer for? I'm sure it will be fine, but these questions have me nervous.

Unfortunately, I can answer what black bean soup tastes like when you add cinnamon instead of cumin. It tastes like dirt. So there will be no black bean soup recipe posted today. Instead, I give you a delicious soup I made this summer instead. It's Ina Garten's Summer Borscht as printed in her cookbook The Barefoot Contessa at Home. I checked the book out of the library and now I understand what all the fuss is about the Barefoot Contessa. Ina's recipes were easy to follow and totally delicious. I'm adding this particular cookbook to my Christmas wish list, but I'd be happy with any of her cookbooks. Hint. Hint.
And because it's such a beautiful pink color I'm entering it in Cilantro & Lime's Baking For Breast Cancer, even though it's not actually baked. I believe it was so hot outside when I made it that I was baking, but that's a stretch really. But seriously, breast cancer awareness is important to me. I just spent part of the weekend at a party for a close family friend who is now a survivor of breast cancer. The good news is that when breast cancer is detected early then there is a 98% 5-year survival rate. So remember to give yourself a breast self exam at least once a month! (I got my information from the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.)


Summer Borscht
Serves 6

5 medium fresh beets (about 2 pounds without tops)
kosher salt
2 cups chicken broth
16 ounces sour cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 English cucumber, seeds removed and diced
1/2 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill

Place the beets in a large pot of boiling salted water and cook uncovered until the beets are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the beets to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Strain the cooking liquid through a fine sieve and also set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the beet cooking liquid, the chicken stock, sour cream, yogurt, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, 1 Tbsp salt, and the pepper. Peel the cooled beets with a small paring knife or rub the skins off with your hands. Cut the beets in a small to medium dice. Add the beets, cucumber, scallions, and dill to the soup. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Season to taste and serve cold.

5 comments:

ley said...

Yay! Thank you for participating in this! It's such a pretty colour, too! :D

Oh, and as far as the SOHCAHTOA acronym thing goes...my husband (raised in Tennessee) said they learned it as, "Some Old Hobo Came A'Hoppin Through Our Agora." That's way too redneck, though, to be taught to ANYONE. lol!

Deborah said...

Since I'm not a big beet fan, I'm guessing I won't make this one, but I do have that very cookbook at my desk with me today!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love The Barefoot Contessa. Her recipes always seem to be no fail:D

Megan said...

Love the color! It looks so refreshing. Gotta love Ina.
I'm so glad you found the spoons. And what a bargain compared to on line! :) Here's to orange Happy Spoons (Raise glass and toast, clink)

Anonymous said...

It's sooooo pretty! I want to paint a room in my house that color. However, I probably wouldn't love on the soup as much, seeing as how I don't like beets. But hey! That color could change my mind...