Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Country Lentil Soup

I've decided to bring it back. It's Legume Wednesday! See I got to thinking. Part of the reason I was doing Legume Wednesday was to show how easy and versatile legumes are. For example, I think the entire prep time for this lentil soup may have been a whopping 5 minutes. It would be less if you are speedier at chopping 1 onion, 2 carrots and 2 celery stalks and used dried herbs. I was out of thyme. Oh the irony! And seriously, there are so many people out there who are far busier than I am and they're still blogging regularly, and besides they might appreciate an easy and hearty bean meal.

Ergo. It's back! SO today for Legume Wednesday, I brought out the kickass cookbook, 1001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes. I have to admit this is the first recipe I've made out of this cookbook, but it was so easy and delicious that I'm sure there will be more. And the Brain can tell you that I have a bunch of cookbooks that I haven't cooked anything out of. Or maybe only one or two things anyway. It's his prevailing logical argument against me buying more cookbooks.

So yeah, this is a delicious Country Lentil Soup. Super easy to make. I mean really, there's minimal chopping and then it all just gets thrown into the slow-cooker and 8 hours later you have some really yummy soup. What better way to enjoy a rainy day in fall?

Country Lentil Soup
6 entree servings

3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup dried lentils
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tsp fresh marjoram, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
salt and pepper, to taste
6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients, except salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese, in 6 quart slow-cooker; cover and cook on low 6-8 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each bowl of soup with 1 tablespoon cheese.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am now walking around my kitchen singing, "She's bringing lentils back, Yeah!" Which is highly amusing for me.

Johanna GGG said...

looks like good healthy quick soup! glad to see legume wednesdays back - there are always so many good ideas!

Deborah said...

I'm glad it's back, because I don't use legumes like I should. I need to follow your example!

grace said...

i love lentils--they're like tiny beans, which means i can fit more into my belly. great soup. :)

Megan said...

Many Thanks! I got the jam, did you get my e-mail? I posted about it also. :)

glamah16 said...

While this one is vegetarian , I got a great big pork hind bone calling to be added to some lentil soup.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading without commenting lately, because I've been lazy lazy lazy. But I had to comment on this one because I'm making up a grocery list, and guess whose family is having this recipe this week? THANKS TO MARY!