Friday, November 9, 2007

Beet Salad!


Sometimes I don't feel like fancy. While deglazing and making caramel and custard is fun. Sometimes it just seems like so much work. So yesterday I turned to Simply French by Patricia Wells. It is the food of Joel Robuchon. I love this cookbook. It is the very first cookbook I bought. It's how I learned to roast a chicken.

This beet and walnut salad was ridiculously easy and yet so completely filling. The sweetness of the beets and the gentle bitter of the walnut were perfectly matched. This simple salad captures for me what fall is about. As for the Brain, he's not a fan of beets.



Beets and Walnuts with Walnut Oil Dressing
Simply French

3 to 4 medium beets


Dressing:
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt to taste
3 Tbsp walnut oil

3 Tbsp walnut pieces
freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook the beets. (she suggests steaming. I roasted.) When cool, remove the skin and cut in 3/4 inch dice. Place in a medium sized bowl and set aside.

2. Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and salt. Gradually whisk in the oil until well blended. Taste for seasoning.

3. To serve, pour the dressing over the beets and toss evenly to coat. (The recipe may be prepared to this point 3 to 4 hours in advance. Cover securly and refrigerate. Return to room temperature before serving.)

4. Just before serving, add the walnuts and toss. Season generously with pepper, and serve.

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Oh yes! When I was in Greece I think I had a beet salad of some sort along with a Greek salad almost every day!!! The produce is so fresh and satisfying. I love your version with the walnuts. Very heart healthy!!!

Zylo said...

Beets are something I haven't tried yet. They kind of scare me, but one day I will tackle them. And where do you buy your ice cream? Seriously. Those are mighty fancy flavors for Walmart. I'm lucky enough to have a Publix nearby and I still can't find stuff like that there.

Mary said...

Valli - I love beets and I was ridiculously excited to try this. I would love to go to Greece!

Zylo - You should at least try beets. You may not like them, but they're really good for you and there's tons of ways you can try them. I happened on the Ciao Bella by accident. For some reason our grocery carries it. Walmart doesn't. (There's tons of stuff that I can't get down here and often I wait until I go visit my parents in the Detroit area to get stuff I need.)