Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Orzo with Chickpeas

I like to have the television on when I'm puttering about the house. I grew up in a big family and sometimes the house gets too quiet for me. I don't always pay attention to it, but the noise is soothing when I'm folding laundry or mopping floors. So, last Saturday, while I was cleaning our cozy little house, or knocking over liquor stores on facebook, I don't remember which. (I think I'm addicted to Mob Wars, but there's something fun about saying, "I just knocked over a liquor store!")

Anywho, I had the television on and all of the sudden there's Rachel Ray in all her EVOO, Yummo! and Delish! glory, making this really tasty looking orzo and chickpea salad. So then I had to sit down and watch and it looked pretty good. So I looked up the recipe and made it for lunch. It's really really good! I did lighten it up a little. I cut down the oil and added more zucchini. And ta-daa! Legume Wednesday starts 2009 on a light and healthy note. And yeah, this salad is good warm OR cold. Deeeeeelish!

Orzo with Chickpeas
adapted from Rachel Ray

1/2 pound orzo
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium zucchini, chopped
1 small red onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
2 ounces goat cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook to al dente.
Heat oil in a skillet, add zucchini, onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook 6 to 7 minutes until tender, add chick peas and heat through. Toss with herbs, orzo and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I do that with the TV sometimes, myself.

That salad looks really good (despite the recipe's RR origins). I wonder if it would translate to brown rice in lieu of the pasta?

Zylo said...

That looks like what I need for lunch next week. I'm going to start running. Or walking until I can make it past the car without wheezing. Need fuel.

Anonymous said...

T.A.T.O.W.I.A.
Totally addicted to television on when I'm alone. Soap operas have LOTS of mundane conversation for the early afternoon....

Mary said...

Amanda- I'd be curious to know if it would taste as good with brown rice. I wish I'd thought of that!

Zylo- It probably would be great as a carb loading meal for running. If I ran anymore. I'm still a big fan of carb loading though! :)

Marti- Soap operas are usually ridiculously funny. But I try not to watch them because I can get sucked in. I've got the weather channel on now. It's pretty harmless except for my massive crush on Jim Cantorre.