Sunday, January 4, 2009

Maple Sweetened Buttermilk Cornbread

We have a pretty full fridge so I was nosing around figuring out what I could make to go with the ham steaks I made for dinner. I found some buttermilk and I have to admit I was torn between biscuits and cornbread. See, I got this really excellent cornbread cookbook a bit back and although I didn't used to think cornbread at every meal, I'm starting to consider it. So anyway I was leafing through this cornbread cookbook and I came across Crescent Dragonwagon's recipe for Vermont Maple-Sweetened Cornbread. It sounds really good. I didn't quite make it though. I really wanted to use that buttermilk and I didn't have the full amount of maple syrup. What I made turned out really good. With some salty ham steak and some peppery roasted potatoes the hint of maple comes through pretty nice.

This cornbread would be good for breakfast with some syrup, or for lunch with some beans or leftover ham, or just as a snack. I really liked it.

And I should mention that somewhere between my three tips to Michigan in a week and a half I received a wonderful package from London. I happen to love the sending packages by mail exchange kind of things I can sign up for as a blogger. Remember when Siri sent me that delicious black currant jam? Well Molly at Batter Splattered did another exchange, this time with cookies. I was lucky enough to have Rebecca in London (no blog that I know about) get my name. She sent a nice package full of some terrifically tasty cranberry and white chocolate biscotti that I have to admit I inhaled before I got a photo of. She also sent some caramels that went the way of the biscotti. Then she sent this here cute little mini Christmas pudding and some gingerbread cookies. To finish the whole thing off I got three handmade red, gold, and white star shaped ornaments. It was so exciting to get a little taste of so many different things!
I also got a little present in the mail from my bloggerganger. The other Shazaam if you will. She sent me a black cake. It's gone now too. I took it to my mom's who commented that it tastes like her fruitcake without the fruit. I think she nailed the description, but if you haven't had Mom's fruitcake, then you'll just have to be happy with the description: "Wow yummy!".
And now the cornbread recipe!
Maple Sweetened Buttermilk Cornbread
inspired by Crescent Dragonwagon and The Cornbread Gospels

Cooking Spray
1 cup all purpose white flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter cooled

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8 inch square pan and set aside.

Stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.

Whisk the eggs, syrup, buttermilk, and melted butter together in a smaller bowl.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using as few strokes as possible.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

7 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What a great way to experience new things by exchange. Everything sounds delicious you lucky girl.

glamah16 said...

There is another Shazam! Lucky you to exchange all those treats. The Dresent Dragon womens name always makes me smile. Happy New Year.

Amanda said...

I love cornbread--this one looks great!

PheMom said...

I love cornbread too! That sound like a great recipe! It is lunch time here and I would give my left arm for a plate of cornbread, ham and beans like you described. I can feel another ham in my future soon now!

Mary said...

Val- I do like the different blog exchanges. Sooner or later I'll figure out how to enter Blogging by Mail!

Glam- yeah, her name cracks me up too, but her recipes are really tasty!

Amanda- thanks! The whole cookbook is full of great cornbread recipes!

PheMom- Hooray for ham in the future! (and cornbread!)

Rebecca said...

Hi Mary,

So Sorry it's taken me this long to comment. I've been working through the archives enjoying all your delicious posts. I'm so glad everything arrived in one piece, it's funny seeing the things I wrapped and sent photographed so far away! I think the exchanges are great and can't wait to get involved in more.

Oh, and while I remember, I've just been persuaded to make my blog public, so you can find me at:

www.jainlight.blogspot.com

Olivia said...

I've never heard of a maple cornbread until now and I'm wondering why that is...the combination sounds tasty.