Saturday, July 5, 2008

Rhubarb Walnut Muffins

So while I was doing an all out search for some frozen artichokes and ended up in the next county, I ran across some beautiful crimson rhubarb stalks. In a moment of impulse, I bought some. Then I came home and realized that I don't like pie. What was I going to do with this rhubarb?

After some searching, I found this fabulous recipe on the Food Network website. This is a superb way to use up rhubarb. The finished muffin has nice crunchy walnuts, crumbly sweet streusel topping, and is studded with tart little pieces of rhubarb. They are super easy to whip together too. Thank goodness I have more rhubarb to use up. I think these are going to go fast.

Rhubarb Walnut Muffins
adapted from the Food Network courtesy of Blacksmith's Inn, Bailey's Harbor, WI

1 1/2 flour
3/4 cups brown sugar (packed)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and prepare 12 muffin cups.Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients, mixing only until moist. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts. Distribute batter among 12 muffin cups. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes

6 comments:

glamah16 said...

You do cupcakes so well, so why not muffins? Good idea for the rhubarb.

Anonymous said...

Those look SO good! I know how it is - one always relates rhubarb to pie, but there truly is an awful lot to be done with it and this is one nummy-looking example! Thanks!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is such a flavourful way to use the rhubarb languishing in our freezer:D

Deborah said...

My MIL brought over a ton of strawberries and rhubarb, so I made some jam. Now I'm wishing I had some rhubarb left!

Cakelaw said...

This is a wonderful use for rhubarb - the streusel topping looks magnificent.

BumbleVee said...

I just stewed some rhubarb...and was using it for other things...but have some left.. I think I'll try putting a spoonful in some muffins.. shud work equally as well as the chunks...