Sunday, July 13, 2008

Greek Week: The Tragic End.

What happens when the entire town of Nowhere, Ohio loses power at 3am on a Sunday morning and doesn't regain it for 3 hours? Pretty much the donut fryer is Screwed. Yes that's with a capital S. See on Sundays I fry by myself. I don't have any deliveries to worry about, but I do have the after church, I want my donut NOW and it better look good crowd. For church going people they can be pretty testy. Now, the store opens at 6. So the donuts have to be done and beautiful by 6. This doesn't happen when the power doesn't come back on until 6. And that church crowd? They get pretty annoyed. And in case you're wondering what happens to yeast donuts that are already proofed and ready to fry when the power decides to blink off for a considerable amount of time, they shrivel up and die. Yep, they lose the will to live and nothing, I mean nothing brings them back. The morning did have a couple high points; using the light of my cell phone to pull some donut rings out of the sizzling fryer in the dark to prevent them from burning (I was worried about fire), and the packing up and hand filling of 10 dozen donuts by flashlight because the customer had already paid and was picking them up at 6. And after working from midnight to 1:30 this afternoon on 3 hours of sleep (and producing some very pathetic looking donuts), I came home, showered and promptly fell asleep on the couch. I'm going in at 11 tonight, so now that I'm awake, it's time to go back to sleep.

The Brain had McDonald's for dinner and I might have a handful of blueberries or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Please forgive me that Greek Week has come to a sudden end. I can tell you that I learned a bunch from this experience. I learned that the library is a useful place to check out cookbooks that you might not have even thought about previously. I learned that I really like the Greek cuisine that doesn't have that icky bechamel sauce. I've learned that Greek cooking requires the use of a surprising amount of olive oil. And I've learned that sometimes it's a really good thing to try out a different culture. Even if it's just for a brief moment.

10 comments:

glamah16 said...

You fried doughnuts by the light of your cell phone! I would have given the customer a refund. Sorry about your Sunday. Well at least you learned a lot about Greek food and what you do like.You have a new perception.

Peter M said...

Glad you enjoyed your Greek food odyssey...Bechamel when done right, is heaven!

April said...

Sorry that Sunday turned out like that! But, kudos to you for frying and filling the doughnuts by your cell phone light!

Sara said...

Sounds like these church-going folk could use a nice long sermon about patience and forgiveness, especially when it comes to donuts!

I hope Monday is better!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD. It's time for a generator for the fryer!!!

Mrs. White said...

I can't believe how early you have to wake up to make the donuts! Remind me to never again complain when school resumes and my alarm is sounding at 5 am...

Deborah said...

Sorry about the electricity!! Sounds like an action packed day! :)

I like to check out cookbooks from the library, but then I just want to go buy all the books I check out because there are so many tempting recipes. I have big problems...

Speedbump Kitchen said...

I love the library for cookbooks! I have a 3 renewals and it's time to order on Amazon rule. I gave my daughter some sourdough bread the other day and she said it tasted "Greeky." I realized she meant "sour" because he only experience with Greek food has been olives, artichokes, lemons and capers. I've tagged you in a meme on my blog!

The Cheap Chick said...

I whole-heartedly agree - church crowds can get UGLY. I used to waitress at a popular post-church restaurant, and apparently all that communing with a Higher Power made folks cranky and hungry.

And bad tippers. Let's not forget that.

But extra credit for frying in the dark! You are too cool.

Amanda said...

Wow--you are a real trooper, I must say!

If you like Greek food, you'll like many middle eastern flavors. Personally I find Lebanese cuisine similar to Greek in many ways.