Thursday, March 6, 2008

Carrot Salad with Lemon Walnut Vinaigrette

We are expecting yet more snow. Somewhere around 8 to 14 inches of snow is predicted. It's just downright depressing. The Meijer's was packed full of people stocking up before the storm when I went grocery shopping today. I have to admit I was stocking up too. But I was only stocking up until the big doctor's appointment next Friday. I also went to the library and although I discovered that it has a larger cookbook section than the local Borders, it took me almost 2 hours to find 5 books to check out. I was careful, just in case, to pick books that I can renew for 3 weeks at a time, so that IF I have to be off my feet I'll have something to read. I've also learned that I need to alphabetize my book list by author and genre (fiction, nonfiction, etc.) because either I was looking in the wrong places or my book list is highly obscure. I'd love it if you could recommend a good book to add to my reading list.

So by the time I got home, I was cranky and developing a headache. I wanted something to eat that wasn't a lot of hassle, yet tasted good. I started some soup. While the soup was cooking (for 30 minutes, but at that point it seemed like forever), I made this wonderful perky salad. Yes, I called it perky. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

The hardest part about the salad was shredding the 2 whole carrots. But even that I did on the box grater instead of the Cuisinart. We don't have a dishwasher and it was a cleanup issue. So once the carrots were shredded, bing bang boom, I mixed up the vinaigrette and it was done. And it was good. The mustard and lemon and walnut oil created a surprisingly happy combination. To quote one of the actress guest judges on the original Iron Chef "Hee hee hee hee. It tastes like a party in my mouth. hee hee hee hee."


Carrots in Lemon-Walnut Vinaigrette
from Healthy Cooking For Two (Or Just You!)

1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp walnut oil
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrots
Salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and mustard until blended; then gradually whisk in oil.
Add the carrots and toss well. Taste the salad and season it with salt and pepper as needed.

Per Serving: 78 calories, 4.7g total fat, 0.4g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 0.9g protein, 9.1g carbohydrates, 2.7g dietary fiber.

If you have a nut allergy, you can substitute canola oil for the walnut oil.

7 comments:

glamah16 said...

Hmmm. Healthy. I hope it goes well ay the doctors and you dont need surgery.

Pixie said...

Hope everything goes well for you with your appointment. Recommended book-Half of A Yellow Sun.

Lovely healthy salad.

Cakelaw said...

Hope the appointment goes OK. I'm with you on grating anything - a load of elbow grease and a lot of washing up. This looks healthy and is a great colour ot warm up a snowy cold day.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This would have gone so well with my heart-healthy chicken the other day. Hope all goes well at the doctor's. Mom & Dad had to shovel their driveway yet again in Cambridge. ...will winter never end for you :D

Anonymous said...

I leave you with this good karma. Our hospital bed was removed yesterday. Let it be so in your world, too.

Deborah said...

This sounds great. I need to get some walnut oil.

I wish our library had such a collection of cookbooks. Most of the cookbooks are pretty old, but I have found a few good ones from time to time.

La Tartine Gourmande said...

A staple dish on our table. Grated carrots are a side dish I would always beg my mum to make, but then she made it all the time! Makes me hungry for it now.