Monday, December 10, 2007

Mint Chocolate Cookies

I have to admit these aren't my favorite of the Christmas cookies. My favorite are the plain old peanut butter cookies. But I don't really have a special recipe for peanut butter cookies. Really I just use the Betty Crocker recipe out of that ubiquitous red cookbook. It's the same cookie recipe everyone else has. It's the cookie I'm most likely to sneak out and snack on. The cookie that will most likely run short when I make the cookie packages to send out. But I can make peanut butter cookies any time I want. There's really nothing special or Christmassy about them.

Now these Chocolate Mint cookies are only brought out at Christmas and I really don't have a clue where the recipe came from. As I said before, the Brain and I aren't huge mint fans, but I can tell you that I almost discontinued these cookies in the past and it was met with an outcry. These are a couple of my friends' favorite Christmas cookie. And really, in a plate of sweet and golden buttery cookies the mint holds its own and the entirely chocolate cookie stands out.

Other than the 4 hour chilling time these cookies are ridiculously easy. I don't even use a mixer to make them. They're festive and a couple of them on a cookie plate really round out a collection. In spite of themselves, these cookies really spell Christmas to me and so I'm sending them in to Food Blogga as my entry for Eat Christmas Cookies.


Mint Chocolate Cookies

2oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp mint extract
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
powdered sugar

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. In separate bowl, mix together melted chocolate, oil, sugar and mint. Add eggs one at a time stirring until blended. Add flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Cover dough and chill for at least 4 hours (no more than 2 days). Scoop out 1 tsp at a time into small balls and roll in powdered sugar. Place balls about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on the pan for a minute before transferring to a rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

Mrs. White said...

These look delicious, but plain old peanut butter is my fav cookie too.

(And put a Hershey's kiss in the center before the cookie's firmed up = perfection :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Hi Mary! I'm so glad you submitted these cookies, cause for me they're a classic. My mom used to make them (w/out the mint) and they were called Chocolate Crinkles. I always the they marbled look of them. Thanks for a festive addition to Eat Christmas Cookies! -Susan