Friday, November 2, 2007

Blecch Fruit

It has been said, that it is far better for a person to eat a fruit or vegetable than to drink the juice. And while I seriously love all vegetables,( Well, excepting olives of course, but olives don't really count as a vegetable, they're more of an optional beverage accessory.) I just don't like fruit.

So I have been diligently over the last couple years attempting to find fruits that I like. Sadly this list is small. And, no, tomatoes don't count as a fruit, they're a vegetable in my book.

Fruits I like are:
Apples
Blueberries
Fresh Raspberries (like off the bramble fresh, none of the soggy grocery store ones)
Bananas

So in a desire to find another fruit to add to the list, I attempted a pomegranate. They were on sale and they've been taunting me for a while. "C'mon, we're different. We take a LOT of work. We're mysterious. We're unbelievably good for you. C'mon we're on sale."

Mysterious? A fruit I can get at the local grocery without having to leave the county? Actually if you look for it, pomegranates have many biblical and mythological references. Shoot you've heard the story of Persephone before haven't you? Like the whole she ate 6 pomegranate seeds so we have 6 months of winter thing? So I bought a big red one and followed the directions to make sure it was heavy for it size and sounded slightly metallic when tapped. What the hell does tapping a slightly metallic pomegranate sound like anyway? It didn't sound like a clink or anything, but I figured it was good enough.

So I bring this beautiful and mysterious pomegranate home and I slice it open and whack the crap out of it to get the little seeds out of it. The Brain had never had one either, so he watched intently for the first 10 minutes. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity I had pulled apart all the white pulp and gotten out the pretty ruby seeds. I do have to say it is one of the prettier fruit.

While the Brain happily ate his bowlful, I just couldn't get past eating seeds. It was like, a burst of oooooooh tasty, followed by a minute of crunch crunch crunch here's a seed. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but crunchy things like seeds are a darn good way to break a tooth. No teeth were harmed in the eating of this pomegranate, but this fruit again ends up on my dislike list. It's kind of a shame, because I really wanted to like a pomegranate, and I have half of one left in my fridge.....

Maybe I'll just buy the juice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My darling Child hates fruit. All fruit unless it's in a smoothy (then it can only be strawberries) or apples (and then it's gotta be baked in a pie or crisp). I am so delighted to see a grown person with a mind and culinary savvy who doesn't like fruit either. I have more hope for the future.