Monday, July 27, 2009

Daring Bakers' Mallows and Milanos

The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

I did the challenge with my sister. And I'm glad I did. The Milan cookies were really easy to make and the batter went together in a snap. But apparently, I'm super bad at sticking them together with chocolate. I personally prefer the smaller and crunchier cookies, but I ate the bigger chewier cookies too because they were also delicious.
Then we did the Mallows. The recipe said 10 minutes of prep time, 5 minutes of inactive prep time, and 10 minutes baking time yields 2 dozen. I think that's wrong. We spent the entire day making these cookies. Trying to roll the cookies out was like trying to roll out chocolate chip cookie dough. We solved the problem by splitting the dough in thirds and continuously rotating pieces we weren't using into the freezer. And I think you can see we got a LOT more than 2 dozen. We got 2 gross. Super G and I are math geeks and when we finally counted the cookies we had 200 and we had been sampling cookies all day. So we figured 244 was probably not a bad estimate. I think if the base cookie had been tastier these would have been excellent cookies. But to me, the base cookie just tasted like pie crust. blech.
Photos curtesy of Super G. I forgot my camera.
You can find the recipes here and check out the rest of the Daring Bakers and see what they did!

7 comments:

Susan/Wild Yeast said...

I didn't get 244 mallow cookies, but I did get about 5 dozen and that was rolling them thicker than instructed and making some of them bigger too. And I would have liked the base to be crisper. Your Milan cookies look great!

glamah16 said...

The time info on this recipe was off (it took all day)and they can yield lot. I used a 2 inch cutter and for about 40 or so. Did you duoble the recipe to get over 200?

Mary said...

My OCD kicked in and we measured all of our cookie cutters until we found a 1 inch one! That's why we got so many. Serves me right for following the directions!

Amanda @ Mrs.W's Kitchen said...

Nooooo! You've gone and got me droolin again.

Must. Find. Mallows.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Enough to feed a small army or have plenty of seconds mary.

the cheap chick said...

See, I love mallows, but not enough to spend all day making an cookie with an icky base. I'll keep buying them from the store, but that Milano recipe looks amazing!

Emily said...

Aww, I'm sorry it took you all day. So many recipes are deceiving with the prep and cook time. The cookies look great!