Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Daring Bakers do Strudel!



I gotta tell you I loved this month's challenge. Surprising as that might be for a person who doesn't like fruit or pie. And the whole time I was making it I imagined various grandmothers and great grandmothers in my family making it exactly the same way. But let's get the fine print out of the way...

The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.

This strudel was really not hard to make. I cut the recipe in half and it went together as easily as some people throw together a pie. And I have to tell you. The walnuts make the apple filling just that much better. I think they were my favorite part! Although I think the pastry was lovely and flaky and I really enjoyed the Cinnamon and sugar and rum traditional apple raisin filling too!

Thanks Courtney and Linda for such a fun challenge!
Please check out the rest of the Daring Bakers.

11 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Strudel would indeed be challenging if you made your own strudel dough. Look at the height on thos delicious juicy apples:D

Megan said...

Looks great! And your right, it was as easy as apple pie! :)

doughmesstic said...

Looks great! I thought it was one of our easier challenges, too - and definitely something impressive enough to make again - for company!

April said...

Your strudel looks great!

Amanda said...

Nice work! I really was surprised by how easy the challenge actually was to complete. Now... to make it really tasty... I'd have to work a little harder.

the cheap chick said...

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE move to the Twin Cities and become my new best friend!!! I love strudel, and I'm the worst baker in the history of ever. If you moved here, I could tell you all about the frugal stuff to do in the TC, and you could bake strudel, and that would ROCK!

Fran Z said...

I didn't get to this month's challenge- but I WILL make this sometime. Yours looks and sounds delicious!

glamah16 said...

Well Im happy to see you posting and able to do this challenge. Making Studel really is comforting and makes you think back to the way things were.

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Great job, the halving idea is a good one to try next time!

Amanda @ Mrs.W's Kitchen said...

That's one good-lookin' streudel, Mary!

breadchick said...

That strudel looks mouthwatering Mary.