Thursday, December 18, 2008

Celebration Cookies for OBG!

I am terribly behind. I'd like to say it's not entirely my fault. But really I'm behind because I have been poor at time management. See, I put off baking the Christmas cookies until I finished with school (last Thursday). But the teacher who I'm long term subbing for just had her baby on Tuesday so my Christmas cookies had to be baked around teaching math to about 60 or so 7th graders.

So while I've been off enjoying myself with 7th graders, I've had this package sitting here to send off to Kevin for Operation Baking Gals. My team this month is hosted by my bloggerganger the every so lovely Calamity Shazaam in the Kitchen. She's awesome. I have filled his package with Celebration Cookies from my mother-in-law's excellent recipe, candy canes, red and green m&m's, and a loaf of home-made stollen. I'll post on the stollen later, because you really want my mother-in-law's cookie recipe. Trust me on this one, it's like a peanut butter cookie wrapped around a Snickers bar. It's at the bottom of the post. But, before you go look at the recipe, let me show you my week in the kitchen in random photos.



Thank God I'm done baking the cookies because I'm so sick of eating cookies right now. Who knew that could happen? I'm also sick of having spaghetti for dinner. But don't you love my 6 tiers of stackable cooling racks? They would make an excellent Christmas present for a cookie baker on your list. Another very nice Christmas present is my lovely salt box that I purchased here. If you live in Minneapolis you might be able to get one by Christmas. Sorry, I meant to post about it MUCH sooner. The box was made by the lovely Marti the Potter who blogs over here.
Megan pointed me in the direction of my happy smiley faced spoons that I got at TJ Maxx for about $3 each. They would make an excellent stocking stuffer if you can find them at TJ Maxx, or a present for yourself because you can order them here and yeah, probably not in time for Christmas.

So I apologize for posting on these so late, but I really wanted to show them to you. Because I love them. Both the box and the spoons make me smile every time I see them. Well, the spoons make me smile because they're so silly, and the box makes me feel like I'm some jazzy classy chef type person as I grab a large pinch of salt to stir into my spaghetti water. I really need to start cooking again...

Celebration Cookies
from Peggy my mother-in-law
2 sticks butter
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 cups flour
2 bags mini Snickers bars
Cream butter and sugars, add peanut butter, eggs, vanilla, soda and flour. Mix together well. Chill 2 hours. Roll into balls a little bigger than a walnut. Make an indentation in the center the size of the candy, place the candy in the indent and wrap the dough completely around the candy bar. Bake 350 degrees 10-12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on the cookie sheet and transfer to a cooling rack. Yield: about 4 dozen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so kind. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. And, btw, cookies with snickers? Hello, heaven?

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These cookies sound so addictive. Your soldier is a very lucky guy!!

Amanda said...

You are my hero! My cookie-baking this year turned out so horribly I gave up--but yours looks fantastic!

I have a 3-tier pie/cake-cooling rack--which doubles as an in-oven rack extender when I need extra stacking space for casserole dishes. Love it!

And I especially love that salt box. What a great piece in the kitchen!

Megan said...

After spending the whole day baking cookies at a friends house, I came home to a HUGE tray of cookies a friend brought over. I so agree about being done with the cookies and I never thought I would say that. I'm ready for a new year and a healthier diet. My hubby even asked if I would change the blog to a weight loss blog! HeeHee!
I LOVE the salt box. I've looked into some and they can be quite spendy. I'll go check out your link! Thanks for the shout out! I have a few happy spoons I'm using as little gifts too. I bought out TJ Max back in October and I'm down to two. I'm glad you found some!!! :)
Mery Christmas Mary! :)

Gretel said...

I totally thought you weren't serious about the snickers bar. I read that as "TASTES" like a peanut butter cookie wrapped around a snickers. Actual snickers in the recipe???? Hello! My new favorite cookie.

Anonymous said...

I heart Marti's pottery, too! I have a tray, and a tiny pot that I like to just carry around with me. I don't really know why, and that makes me sound like a total loon. But still, holding one of her tiny pots in my hands is very soothing and meditational. Seriously. Now stop looking at me like that.

Johanna GGG said...

you sound like you have been baking up a storm - despite everything else on your plate - I would love one of those stackable cooling racks (although don't know where I would store it) and could go one of those cookies right now!

Deborah said...

You are better than I am - there will be no Christmas cookies in my house this year... :(

But these do sound delicious - I need to save the recipe for when I'm feeling a bit more energy!