Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Black Bean, Corn and Cabbage Salad

I know you were probably shocked last Wednesday that I had posted about a cake. Well, okay, you probably weren't shocked when you realized that 70 billion other people posted very similar versions of the same cake. It was Daring Baker Day and thus Legume Wednesday was on hiatus. But never fear, Legume Wednesday is still going strong. I haven't managed to tire of legumes yet and I'm still finding interesting recipes to post about.
Tonight's recipe is for a common summer salad of corn and black beans. I've been making and eating this salad for years. And when I saw that Grace over at A Southern Grace was having a Beat the Heat Event (deadline is the 9th so you still have a little bit of time), I knew it was time to post this lovely and delicious salad. Mine does have a little twist in that there's some shredded red cabbage in it. I find it soaks up the lime juice nicely and provides some good crunch. The red cabbage twist actually was inspired by this recipe over at Eating Well.

This salad is high in fiber and potassium and it's fairly calorie dense, so it's really good for you. It's also slightly addictive, so you may want to go into another room and do something else while you're waiting for the flavors to blend. Like grill a pork chop or something. Although that shouldn't take an hour.

Black Bean, Corn, and Cabbage Salad
inspired by Eating Well

2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 cup diced tomatoes
3 large scallions sliced
Juice of 2 limes
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand for 1 hour so that corn thaws and flavors meld. Serve cold.

3 comments:

glamah16 said...

I'll take this over tht cake any day.

grace said...

yeah...this would be more than slightly addictive for me. i would eat it until there was nothing left. i love every single component of it--it's perfect for summer, winter, spring, or fall. :)
thanks for sending it my way!

Deborah said...

All of my pregnancy books keep telling me to eat lots of legumes because they are so good for you - I need to start listening and come and get some recipes from you! This sounds delicious!