Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jerked Chicken Drumsticks

I have a small confession to make. I've never had real Jamaican Jerk. My wonderful sister Super G has. She's even had curried goat. Or at least she knows where to get it. If I wanted to try curried goat I'd be out of luck. Well unless I felt like hopping a fence and butchering one of Dad L's goats. But I think they're pretty old (the goats, not my in-laws) and the urge has really never struck.

So why did I make Jerked Chicken Drumsticks? Well for 2 reasons. One is very exciting and is getting here tomorrow night and requires a large amount of freezer space. (The first person who leaves a comment correctly guessing what is coming will receives a prize! And no you can't win if you are family.) The other is that I have had this bag of drumsticks sitting in the freezer for a while now and they needed to be eaten. So because I'm pretty lazy lately, I pulled out my frozen drumsticks and my Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two and threw this dish together. And I let it cook. For a long long time while I went to physical therapy (and I've finally graduated from physical therapy yay!) and then I went to the doctor's office (we can all exhale- it's definitely just a sprain!) and then I came home and took a nap.

Apparently when you throw frozen drumsticks into the slow cooker it takes a bit longer than the 6 or 7 hours the recipe says it will take. So I rummaged around in the freezer and found an already cooked pork tenderloin and we ate that instead. Then I went grocery shopping and watched some Olympics. Then the Brain went to bed because he had had a long day. Then I remembered that the slow cooker was still on. Ooops. The drumsticks then became lunch for today. Over cooking them on low in the slow cooker made them super tender. They were falling off the bone. The peppers were super sweet and tasty. And overall it had such a delicious sweet taste that finished with some heat. I think I will have to figure out how to get some real Jerk food. That may require some travel. For now the goats remain safe.


Jerked Chicken Drumsticks

1 Jalapeno chile stemmed and cut in half
6 green onions ends trimmed and cut in pieces
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rum
Juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp Caribbean Jerk Seasoning
3/4 tsp salt
4 chicken drumsticks
1 medium sized orange pepper sliced thin

Place the chile, green onions, vinegar, brown sugar, oil, soy sauce, rum, lime juice, jerk seasoning, and salt in a food processor; puree until smooth.

Spray the inside of the crock with nonstick cooking spray. Place the drumsticks in the slow cooker. Pour the jalapeno mixture over chicken and try to make sure all the drumsticks are covered. Lay the bell pepper strips on top. Cover and cook on low until the chicken reaches a temperature of 180 degrees. This could be 6 to 7 hours or many more. Serve hot.

12 comments:

Deborah said...

I was lucky enough to have some jerk chicken in the Caribbean years ago. But I've never made it myself. And it doesn't get any easier than the crock pot!

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to ask, but are you getting a large frozen goat for your freezer?

glamah16 said...

You bought a cow or side of beef!My aunt was just asking me for a slowwcooker chicken recipe. I will send this link over to her.

Kitt said...

Yes, a cow or pig .. or maybe a deer or buffalo?

My freezer is full of goat milk.

grace said...

leave those goats alone! :)
your chicken sounds delightful--what a happy accident!

Mary said...

Nope not a cow or side of beef. Kitt, you're on the right track, but you have to pick just one for your guess!

Gretel said...

Curried goat is AWESOME! And goat roti is even better, but I don't know where you'd find roti skins in Ohio. So you'll have to come back to Brooklyn.

Sara said...

Gretel, What's roti?

Mary, awesome looking chicken! I love it when meat is so tender it just slips off the bone... mmmm!

(I declare myself ineligible for your contest since you just told me what you got :) )

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I don't think I've ever really had "authentic" jerk before either. This sure sounds delicious and strongly flavored though...sounds like something I need to try soon!

Cakelaw said...

I think I'll skip the curried goat, but these jerked chicken legs look delicious.

Mrs. White said...

Pig roast?

Amanda said...

Oooh--jerk is one of my FAVORITE things. If you ever get to Key West, go to PT's bar and grill and try THE BEST jerk chicken wings in your life. Dee-lish!

I was going to guess a big truckload of ice cream :) but I see it's meat you're expecting... so my guess is... (drumroll, please)...

lamb! as in, a whole one!

Am I right? Am I right? Huh? Huh?